Friday, November 23, 2012

Zug and Zugerberg

Finally, the sun came out for the first time since we got here. Yay! Zug is wonderful in any weather but the spirits do rise when sunshine is streaming through the curtains. To celebrate, we decided we could get an important errand done before the weekend crowds at the store -- the chocolate purchase. And while we didn't come close to the record of 14 pounds of chocolate returning to Atlanta, it was a sizable dent in my credit card. I guess I could login to AmEx to see what I actually spent but I think I'd rather leave it in nebulous swiss francs. After the critical things were handled, we walked back along the lake enjoying the morning.
After lunch of -- you guessed it, turkey sandwiches -- we decided to take advantage of the fine weather and go up to the Zugerberg. I hadn't been since the first time I came to Switzerland of maybe ten years ago. That visit was in the spring, so there was snow on the ground up on the mountain. No snow today, just miles of walking trails that were being enjoyed by couples, friends, and families. It takes about 20 minutes to get up there, so I imagine it's a regular occurrence for the locals (I know if would be for me). Beautiful views.
Finished the day out with a visit to the restaurant at the Hotel-Ochsen. Usually, we have the dining room to ourselves in the evening but it being Friday night, it was packed. We all had the seasonal local dish of "rotel" fish, which they translate as a char but I would more characterize as a white fish. In any event, we had it three ways -- poached, sauteed in butter and herbs, and fried. The last was supposed to come with a green curry sauce and asian vegetables but it didn't. In any event, it was delicious and light and the Ochsen's hospitality cannot be beat.

No comments: